Thursday, March 25, 2021

Every Picture Tells A Story, Don’t It?


 This one reminds me why I’m a happy guy.

I snapped this while I was at the little stretch of beach in Southport setting up a beach chair and some beach accessories for a product photo I’ll be using in an ad for the awesome little shop Boo & Roo’s in Southport Magazine. So that alone reminds me how lucky I am to be in the business I’m in. I get to go to the riverfront for work. I get to make photographs for work. I get to meet and become friends with people like Penny, who owns Boo & Roo’s, and her staff. It makes it easy to get out of bed in the morning, let me tell you. 

I’m also a huge fan of boats of all kinds. These huge freighters that come into the river on their way to Wilmington’s port are simply amazing. If you’re not familiar with what you’re seeing, all those multi-colored blocks on the ship are the backs of tractor trailers without the chassis, basically. So, yes, it’s HUGE. 

I also have a hard time resisting photos of people taking photos. I don’t know why, they just seem cool to me. And in this case, it reminds me what a great community we have. The woman here is just as likely to have been born in Southport as she is to be a tourist. Locals, many of them, flock to the waterfront to watch the ships come in every bit as much as the visitors to our area do. A love of the sea and the ships that travel her is common among our locals. 

The tower on the left of this image is River Pilot tower, used (or at least it was used) to watch for ships waiting to enter the river and waiting for a pilot to guide them. It’s just one of the things that make our community different. How many people have a river pilot pilot tower in town? Or a lighthouse? These serve as constant reminders that we were wise in our choice of home. And they make great photo subjects, which is a bonus for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Russian Spy Film

 No, I don’t mean a Russian version of 007, I mean photographic film designed by the Soviets for aerial surveillance, aka spy planes. I love...